Position Title: PONI Training Coordinator VISTA
Start Date: June 20, 2023 (or later)
Service Site: PONI – Preventing Overdose and Naloxone Intervention, 1125 N. Main St, Providence, RI 02903
AmeriCorps VISTA Overview: AmeriCorps VISTA is a one-year volunteer position in which members serve in a capacity-building role at a nonprofit organization or a government agency. Members receive a living allowance (approximately $877 every two weeks), healthcare benefits, transportation support, some childcare benefits, professional development & training, and the choice of an education award of $6,895 or cash stipend of $1,800 at the end of the service year. (For more info about AmeriCorps VISTA please visit www.americorps.gov).
Position Overview: Preventing Overdose and Naloxone Intervention (PONI) is a non-profit organization within The Miriam Hospital dedicated to preventing opioid overdoses in Rhode Island. Our goal is to support Rhode Islanders in preventing, recognizing, and intervening in opioid overdoses through training and distribution of naloxone (Narcan) and other harm reduction supplies. We collaborate with numerous agencies throughout the state to help train the community and ensure access to naloxone, fentanyl test strips, wound care kits, and safer use supplies. As the central access point of community-based intramuscular naloxone and harm reduction kits in Rhode Island, we strive to ensure that all members of the community have the tools and training to save a life. Additionally, we develop trainings and distribution materials and support public health and harm reduction research. (Learn more about our work at www.poniri.org.)
PONI is seeking an individual who can support naloxone and harm reduction kit distribution and overdose prevention training within the state of Rhode Island. This would be an excellent opportunity for anyone interested in public health, harm reduction, education, training, research, and community organizing. This position provides excellent training, supervision, and networking opportunities. Additionally, VISTAs generally qualify for Medicaid and SNAP in addition to the health coverage, relocation allowance, education award, and living allowance provided by AmeriCorps. Bilingual/bicultural Spanish-speaking skills are not required but are welcome and helpful.
Main responsibilities of this position include:
- Managing distribution of harm reduction kits and naloxone (Narcan) to community organizations.
- Conducting overdose prevention trainings.
- Creating a naloxone/overdose prevention refresher course in collaboration with other community organizations.
- Building a central access database of training materials available in Rhode Island.
- Addressing inequities in training and materials in collaboration with other VISTAs, community organizations, and the RI Department of Health.
- Coordinating day-to-day operations at the PONI office.
- Recruiting and managing PONI volunteers and interns.
- Recruiting volunteers to support the Never Use Alone Hotline.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills; strong attention to detail
- Excellent computer and technology skills; graphic design experience helpful
- Well organized; ability to multi-task and prioritize responsibilities
- Well-developed research and interviewing skills
- Comfort working in collaborative settings with a diverse set of stakeholders
- Commitment to learning about issues related to incarceration, substance use, & public health
How to Apply
Applicants who meet our requirements will be contacted for an interview.
To see other open VISTA positions on the Health and Justice in RI VISTA team, please visit: https://healthandjustice.org/about-us/#jobs
|Job Category||AmeriCorps VISTA|